Saturday, March 30, 2013

Journaling Of Missed Trade Setups

While journaling my trades, I suddenly thought of an idea which is pretty useful. Instead of only journaling trades that I took, why not also journal setups that I missed? There will surely be a few every month, and journaling them serves the purpose of reinforcing the effectiveness of the setup, boosting my confidence, as well as reminding me how much more my account could have grown.

Well because this is done in hindsight, it is very easy to only cherry pick setups that worked. Hence I need to be very honest with myself while conducting this exercise. For this month, there are two main setups that I felt was a big miss. Truth be told, there were 3-4 others that worked out very well, but they weren't A+ setups and I didn't take them due to certain reservations so I shall not include them in this list. Here are the two misses of the month:

NZDUSD 4H

AUDUSD 1H
BUOB stands for Bullish Outside Bar and BEOB stands for Bearish Outside Bar, these are James16 terms and are pretty self explanatory.

The thing is, I know I can never catch every single setup out there. But I need to be very true to myself, did I miss a setup because I totally didn't notice it at all or did I miss it because I wasn't diligent enough to check the charts when I should (time where hourly and 4 hourly bars are formed) even though price was at a significant level/edge of pattern? There are only so few FX pairs, how much effort does it take to start the day with a watch list of pairs with potential setups and scroll through them every hour/4H? A+ setups are rare enough and I simply cannot afford to miss any due to a lack of diligence as one trade could make all the difference in a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment